EU leaders hope Trump trade truce will hold

The agreement still faces a final vote in the European Parliament next month.

European leaders struck a triumphant tone early Wednesday after the EU finally clinched a deal to implement its long-delayed trade pact with the United States, ending months of tariff threats and transatlantic brinkmanship.

“A deal is a deal, and the EU honours its commitments,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen wrote on X. “Together, we can ensure stable, predictable, balanced, and mutually beneficial transatlantic trade.”

After more than five hours of late-night talks, negotiators from the Parliament, Council and Commission finally reached a compromise on the legislation needed to enact the Turnberry accord agreed with U.S. President Donald Trump last July in Scotland.

European Parliament President Roberta Metsola called the agreement proof that “Europe is a reliable partner,” stressing that the transatlantic relationship supports 16 million jobs. “Built on mutual respect, it makes us all stronger,” she wrote.

Trade Commissioner Maroš Šefčovič hailed the compromise as a “strong result” in negotiations. And German Chancellor Friedrich Merz called the deal “good news from Strasbourg,” saying Europe was delivering “more security and stability for our companies.” Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani noted the agreement would provide “economic stability and certainty” for businesses exporting to the U.S.

Some struck a noticeably more cautious tone.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning in Strasbourg, Bernd Lange, chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on International Trade, said he “wouldn’t call it a good deal.”

After writing on X that “the original blind flight has been averted,” Lange said that he personally would not have struck the agreement the same way as von der Leyen. Still, he stressed Parliament would “stand by this deal” because the Commission had negotiated it on behalf of the EU.

Lange also pushed back against suggestions Brussels had folded under Trump’s tariff threats. “We have to make clear that this is our duty to protect the European interests,” he said, while acknowledging there were still doubts over whether Washington would ultimately accept every part of the legislation.

The move to implement the deal slowed after Trump threatened to seize Greenland in January, and again earlier this month, when he said he would hike tariffs on European cars to 25 percent. That statement prompted von der Leyen to publicly remind Washington shortly after that “a deal is a deal.”

The pact commits Brussels to lowering tariffs on U.S. industrial and some farm goods, while obliging Washington to keep most tariffs on European exports capped at 15 percent.

The legislation now heads toward a closely watched final vote during the European Parliament’s June 15–18 plenary session.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow