Foreign Ministry announces delay in South Africa evacuation

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced a temporary delay in the planned evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks in the country. In a press release issued in Accra on May 21, 2026, the Ministry said the evacuation exercise, which was originally scheduled to begin on the same day, has been […] The post Foreign Ministry announces delay in South Africa evacuation appeared first on The Ghana Report.

Foreign Ministry announces delay in South Africa evacuation

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced a temporary delay in the planned evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks in the country.

In a press release issued in Accra on May 21, 2026, the Ministry said the evacuation exercise, which was originally scheduled to begin on the same day, has been postponed by a few days to allow authorities to complete the necessary legal and administrative processes.

According to the statement, more than 800 Ghanaians have so far registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria seeking evacuation due to growing fears over the latest wave of attacks targeting foreign nationals in South Africa.

The Ministry explained that the large number of people involved, together with South African legal requirements such as mandatory passenger screening, coordination among several institutions, and the acquisition of flight permits, made it necessary to delay the operation briefly.

Read Also: Ghana petitions AU over xenophobic attacks in South Africa

Officials said both the Ghanaian and South African authorities are working closely together to improve and speed up the evacuation arrangements.

Senior government officials from both countries are also said to be actively engaged in discussions to ensure the exercise is carried out smoothly and safely.

The Government of Ghana assured citizens currently living in South Africa that every effort is being made to guarantee their safe return home.

The statement also praised the affected Ghanaians for their patience and understanding during the process.

The post Foreign Ministry announces delay in South Africa evacuation appeared first on The Ghana Report.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow