Ex-FBI Chief Charged With Threatening President Trump’s Life

Former FBI Director James Comey has been charged with threatening the life of the United States President and transmitting a threat in interstate commerce, following an indictment filed on Tuesday by the United States Department of Justice. The case stemmed from an Instagram post Comey shared in May 2025 while vacationing in North Carolina, showing […]

Former FBI Director James Comey has been charged with threatening the life of the United States President and transmitting a threat in interstate commerce, following an indictment filed on Tuesday by the United States Department of Justice.

The case stemmed from an Instagram post Comey shared in May 2025 while vacationing in North Carolina, showing seashells arranged to display the numbers “86 47.” Allies of President Donald Trump interpreted the numbers as a coded threat, with “86” sometimes used in American slang to imply eliminating someone, while “47” is seen as a reference to Trump’s position as the 47th president.

The charges, filed in a federal court in the Eastern District of North Carolina, marked a renewed effort by prosecutors to pursue legal action against the former FBI chief.

The development comes after Trump had previously called on social media for criminal charges to be brought against Comey and other perceived adversaries, intensifying scrutiny around the case and raising concerns about political influence in prosecutorial decisions.

Reacting to the indictment, Comey denied any intent to threaten the president and described the prosecution as improper.

“I’m still innocent. I’m still not afraid,” Comey said in a video posted online.

“This is not how the Department of Justice is supposed to be.”

Comey had earlier deleted the controversial post after the backlash, stating that he was unaware of any violent interpretation.

“I didn’t realize some folks associate those numbers with violence. It never occurred to me but I oppose violence of any kind so I took the post down,” he said.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the charges, saying the case aligned with standard enforcement against threats to public officials.

“While this case is unique and this indictment stands out because of the name of the defendant, his alleged conduct is the same kind of conduct that we will never tolerate, and that we will always investigate and regularly prosecute,” Blanche said during a press briefing.

However, Comey’s legal team has pushed back strongly, describing the case as politically motivated. His lawyers said the prosecution was a vindictive effort aimed at punishing him for his criticism of Trump, a line of defence they are expected to pursue in court.

“We will contest these charges in the courtroom and look forward to vindicating Mr. Comey and the First Amendment,” his lawyer, Patrick Fitzgerald, said in a statement.

Legal analysts said the case was likely to hinge on the interpretation of the First Amendment, which broadly protects political speech but does not extend to direct threats against individuals.

The case could also test how courts define a “true threat,” an area where the Supreme Court of the United States has not set a clear standard.

This is not the first legal challenge involving Comey. A previous case brought by the Justice Department was dismissed after a federal judge ruled that the prosecutor involved had not been lawfully appointed, with other rulings also limiting key evidence.

The latest charges underscored the long-running tensions between Trump and Comey, dating back to the FBI investigation into alleged ties between Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and Russian officials.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow