Trump Pauses Planned Iran Strike After Gulf Leaders Push For Diplomacy

President Donald Trump has announced that the United States has suspended a planned military operation against Iran following appeals from key Gulf leaders who urged Washington to allow diplomatic efforts to continue. In a post shared on Truth Social on Monday, Trump said he received calls from Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Mohammed bin Salman […]

Trump Pauses Planned Iran Strike After Gulf Leaders Push For Diplomacy

President Donald Trump has announced that the United States has suspended a planned military operation against Iran following appeals from key Gulf leaders who urged Washington to allow diplomatic efforts to continue.

In a post shared on Truth Social on Monday, Trump said he received calls from Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan requesting that the planned strike be delayed.

According to Trump, the military action had been scheduled for Tuesday, but the Gulf leaders informed him that ongoing negotiations could lead to a breakthrough agreement.

He said they believed that “serious negotiations are now taking place” and expressed confidence that a deal acceptable to the United States, the Middle East region, and other global stakeholders could soon be achieved.

Trump added that a major aspect of the proposed agreement would ensure that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons.

Iran has repeatedly denied allegations that it is pursuing nuclear arms, insisting that its nuclear programme is peaceful. Tehran has also maintained that Washington’s demands violate the rights of the Iranian people and are politically motivated.

Negotiations between the US and Iran have reportedly continued since Trump announced a ceasefire on April 7. Pakistan has been playing a leading mediation role, while Gulf nations are also believed to be participating quietly behind the scenes.

The latest diplomatic developments come after reports surfaced last week alleging that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates carried out covert strikes against Iran in response to attacks linked to the recent Middle East conflict. Both countries had previously avoided public involvement in the war.

READ ALSO:

Despite the pause, Trump said he had instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Daniel Caine, and the US military to remain prepared for what he described as a “full, large-scale assault of Iran” if negotiations fail to produce a satisfactory outcome.

Meanwhile, Iranian media outlet Tasnim reported that Tehran has submitted a fresh 14-point proposal through Pakistani mediators for onward delivery to American officials. The proposal reportedly follows Washington’s response to an earlier Iranian offer.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow